Sunday, July 3, 2011

Leaving



As I said my good-byes with hugs and kisses to my husband and son at LAX airport,  I started to feel selfish.  Deciding to study abroad felt as if it was only for me, even after all the preparation and talks with my supportive husband about our decision for me to do something for myself and to study abroad.  I couldn’t hold in my tears as my son tried to follow me into the airport.  He was so calm and curious but also unaware to a certain extent of what was going on.  I told myself to be strong and made an excuse to myself that my son would not remember any of this when he gets older.  I explained again to him one last time that I would be going on an airplane, and traveling far away to go to school and I would be coming back later.  My son agreed and I felt a bit better knowing that my husband and I had arranged for them to stay with my in-laws while I would be away for 5 weeks.  Although my feelings of being selfish was unsettling, my husband reassured me that everything would be fine and sent me away with warm hopes that I would study hard and enjoy my trip altogether.
Inside the airport, I met up with a couple of other students that were also studying in the same program as me.  Sensing their excitement helped me revisit all the reasons why I made the decision to go in the first place .  This kept my mind off of my son, which was also positive.   We traveled from LAX to Paris and then finally to Amman, Jordan!

Photo credit to Sean Griffith 


No comments:

Post a Comment